Ohio offers a variety of hunting licenses, for deer, wild turkey, wild boar, waterfowl, and small game. Each has category has its own season and requirements. Learn more about how to get an Ohio hunting license.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Who Needs a License?
All persons hunting on Ohio land are required to have a license, except:
- Those hunting on land that they own
- Children and grandchildren under 18, hunting on land owned by parents or grandparents
- Tenants of landowner, hunting on land where they live
- Active duty US service personnel, while on leave or furlough.
- Resident License Fees:(6 months residency required)
Resident hunting licenses are $19 for adults, $10 for youth (under 18) and seniors (65-70). Licenses for those over 70 are issued at no charge. In addition to the general license, hunters will need a special permit for the type of hunting (deer, waterfowl, wild turkey, etc.). See fees below.
- Non-Resident License Fees:
Non-resident hunting licenses are $125 for adults and $10 for youth (under 18). In addition to the general license, hunters will need a special permit for the type of hunting (deer, waterfowl, wild turkey, etc.). A three-day tourist license is also available for deer, turkey and fur-bearing animals for $40.
- Special free licenses:
The following people must have a license, but there is no charge for it.
- Ohio residents with a veteran's license plate displaying the international wheelchair symbol
- Certain permanently disabled veterans who are Ohio residents
- Ohio residents who are former Prisoners of War
- Additional permits
Additional permits are required for each type of hunting. 2012 fall turkey permits are $24 for adults and $12 for youth and seniors.
2011 Deer permits are also $24 for adults and $12 for youth and seniors.
- Where to Buy your Ohio Hunting License:
Ohio hunting licenses may be purchased online via the Ohio Department of Wildlife Web site if you have previously held an Ohio hunting license or have evidence of having successfully completed a hunter education course and you are at least 21 years of age.
Alternately, you may purchase a license at one of the hundreds of outlets throughout the state. These locations are listed on the same Web site.
- For complete Ohio Hunting Regulations:
For the complete book of Ohio hunting regulations, please refer to the Ohio Department of Wildlife Web site.
- Ohio Hunting Education Courses:
Instructor-led courses are held throughout the year in all of Ohio's 88 counties. These are conducted free-of-charge and average 8 to 12 hours in length. Certified volunteer instructors and Division of Wildlife employees typically teach the course in a structured classroom environment.
The ODNR advises persons with little knowledge or exposure to firearms or hunting to consider taking this type of course. For a list of courses near you, consult the Ohio Department of Wildlife Web site.
- Ohio Wild Turkey Season - 2012
- October 13 - November 25
- Ohio Deer Hunting Seasons - 2012/2013:
- Archery Season: September 29, 2012 to February 3, 2013
- Gun Season: November 26 - December 2, 2012 and December 15-16, 2012
- Muzzleloader Season: October 15-20, 2012 and January 5-8, 2013
What You Need
- Cash, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card for payment
- Proof of Residency (if applicable)