The festivities of Christmas are approaching and if you choose to celebrate by adorning your dwelling with a live tree, below you will find a comprehensive guide to more than 40 tree farms in Northeast Ohio, offering a variety of trees, decorations, activities and hot beverages-all the ingredients for holiday winter fun. But be sure to call before heading out to verify hours and to get accurate directions; some places are pretty out-of-the-way. Enjoy! (updated for 2013)
- Londrico’s Christmas Tree Farm - 7525 Granger Rd, Valley View – (216) 524-0866; 20,000 trees from which to choose; Opens the day after Thanksgiving, 9am-9pm.
Swan Farm - 11721 Tinkers Creek Rd., Valley View – (216)524-2536; choose from precut or cut your own trees, wreaths, shaking/baling, gift shop and refreshments; Open Nov. 23, call for hours.
- Conifer Acres - County road 40 (between SR 58 & SR 511), Sullivan, OH – (419)499-2897; cut your own trees on the weekend or select from precut trees on display in the sales barn, trees range from 6’-16’; Open noon to dusk daily beginning Nov. 23.
Sugargrove Tree Farm - 1619 Township Rd. 1455, Ashland – (419)282-5151; provides precut or cut your own trees, tree bags, shaking, baling, wreaths, tours and refreshments; Open Wed-Sat 9am-5pm; Sun 11am-4pm.
- Grand River Valley Christmas Tree Farm and Gift Shoppe - Laskey Road off of Route 45, Rome – (440) 563-3582; variety of precut trees, ball and burlap trees, ornaments, stocking stuffers, handmade soaps, lotions, wooden toys, holiday flags, handmade Christmas stockings; Opens the day after Thanksgiving, Fri 4pm - 8pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6 pm.
- Manner’s Pine Tree Lodge - 780 Dodgeville Road, New Lyme – (440)294-2444; choose from precut or cut your own trees, roping, tree bags, shaking, baling, also offers wreaths, tours, entertainment and refreshments starting the day after Thanksgiving; Open weekends only through Dec 19, Fri 1pm-5pm, Sat & Sun 10am-4pm.
Sarna’s Tree Farm - 1137 E. Jefferson St., Jefferson – (440)576-3450; offers precut and cut your own trees, roping, tree bags, shaking, baling, cemetery cones, centerpieces, gift shop, free hot beverages on weekends and pre-tagging of trees by appointment; Open Nov. 23-Dec.23, Mon-Fri 10am-6pm, Sat & Sun 9am-5pm.
- North Corner Farm - 13800 Butternut Road, Burton – (440)785-3692; provides precut and cut your own trees as well as wreaths, baling, gift shop, weekend refreshments and wagon rides; Open daily 10am - 5pm.
- Rhodes Sisters - 12020 Clay St., Huntsburg – (440)636-5498; precut and cut your own trees, wreaths, roping, tree bags, shaking, baling, gift shop and refreshments, Also offers their own pure maple syrup and candy; Open daily 10am-5pm starting the day after Thanksgiving through Dec. 23.
Sugar Pines Tree Farm - 9500 Mulberry Road, Chesterland – (440)729-1019; precut and cut your own trees, wreaths, tree bags, roping and shaking/baling, refreshments, indoor fresh cut display, weekend wagon rides; Opens the day after Thanksgiving, weekends 9am-6pm and weekdays noon-6pm.
- Piney Paradise - 667 S. Norwalk Rd. W., Norwalk – (419)668-9334; offers cut your own trees, wreaths, roping, shaking, baling, gift shop, refreshments; Open beginning Thanksgiving weekend, Norwalk Rd location: weekdays 3pm-dusk; Snyder Rd location: Sat & Sun 9am-5 pm.
Treaster’s Tree Farm - 13184 Gore Orphanage Road, Wakeman – (440)965-7411; cut your own Christmas trees, provides saws as well as gift shop, cutting service and school tours; Open Nov. 23-Dec. 23, Tue-Sun 10am-dusk.
- Emerald Ridge Christmas Trees and Wreaths - 7000 Route 307, Madison – (440)428-6132; cut your own Scotch pine trees and offers wreaths, tree bags, shaking, baling, gift shop, refreshments and tractor driven wagon rides; Opens the day after Thanksgiving through December 23, 10am-5pm, Sat & Sun 10am-5pm and weekdays by appointment.
- McKosky’s Tree Farm - 14740 Leroy Center Rd, Thompson – (440)298-1412; precut fir and pine trees or cut your own pine or spruce, shook, drilled and baled for free, also wreaths, crosses, roping, refreshments, gingerbread playhouse for kids and a scenic covered bridge; Opens the day after Thanksgiving through Dec. 24 weekends 9am-5pm and weekdays by appointment.
Mountain Creek Tree Farm - 7185 Williams Road, Concord – (440)354-8928; cut your own trees, also offer wreaths, roping, tree bags, shaking, baling, gift shop, hot cider and hot chocolate served on weekends; Open Tue-Fri noon-5pm, Sat & Sun 9am-5pm, closed Mon.
Wilcox Farms - 17620 Diagonal Road, LaGrange – (440)355-4027; offers precut and cut your own trees, wreaths, roping, tree bags, shaking, baling, gift shop, wagon rides, and free coffee & hot chocolate; Open beginning the day after Thanksgiving, 9am - 730pm daily
For Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Stark, and Summit Counties, see Page Two.
For Trumball and Wayne Counties, see Page Three