Cleveland's recycling efforts grow better each year. Now, 49 locations around the city accept glass, aluminum cans, plastic containers, cardboard, paper, and plastic bags. The hours are flexible and there's no sorting. In addition, special dates are set each year for collecting computer equipment, hazardous items such as paint, and motor oil.
What to Save
The following items are accepted on a regular basis: The city asks that you rinse the items thoroughly before taking them to the collection center.
- Glass bottles and jar
- Aluminum, steel, and tin cans
- Plastic containers, marked 1-7
- Non-waxed cardboard
- Plastic grocery bags
- Mixed paper, magazines, newsprint, and envelopes (no books)
- Waxed Cardboard (includes frozen food containers)
- Aluminum foil
Waste Collection Garages
- 5600 Carnegie Ave.
- 3727 Ridge Road
- 4150 South Marginal
- 14550 Lorain Avenue
- 17210 Harvard
- 17109 Lakeshore
- 856 East 152nd
- Glenville Rec. 680 East 113th
- Thurgood Marshall Rec. 8611 Hough
- Zelma Watson George Rec. 3165 M.L.K. Jr. Drive
- Zone Rec. 6301 Lorain Ave.
- Estabrook Rec. 4125 Fulton
- Halloran Rec. 3550 W. 117th
- Cudell Rec. 1910 West Blvd.
- Gunning Rec. 4391 West 168th
- Lakeshore Parks Office 8701 Lakeshore Blvd.
- Gordon Park
- Edgewater Park (upper and lower) Euclid Beach Park
- Humphrey Park E. 161st and Grovewood
- West side Market 1979 W.25th
- Clark Metro Development Corporation 2511 Clark Ave.
- YMCA 11300 Broadway
- St. Michael Hospital 5109 Broadway
- Drug Mart 4170 Fulton
- Municipal Parking Lot 1501 S. Marginal Road
- City Hall West 3rd Entrance
- Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ 2592 West. 14th St.
- Brooklyn Heights United Church of Christ 2005 West Schaaf Road
- St. Procop Chursh 3181 West 41st. St.
- Rhodes High School 5515 Ira Ave.
In addition to the regular collections, the city of Cleveland sponsors special collections, once or twice a year for hard-to-discard recyclable material. The following collections are scheduled:
Computer and Electronic Equipment
Collected twice a year at:
- 5600 Cedar Rd.
- 3727 Ridge Rd.
- Cell phones
- Computer keyboards
- Computer Mouses
- Ink printer cartridges
The items collected are cleaned thoroughly, refurbished, and donated to schools and other worthy non-profit institutions. Collections are held in April and August.
Unwanted telephone books are being collected in June and July of each year at special, designated locations.
Cleveland city sanitation workers will now collect up to four tires per address with your regular weekly garbage collection. Additional tires are collected at special collection days throughout the year.
Special collections for hazardous materials are held twice a year, in May and October at the recycling centers, located at 5600 Cedar Rd. and 3727 Ridge Rd. Watch the About Cleveland blog for upcoming dates. Acceptable items include:
- Paint and related products (liquid and Aerosol): ONLY oil or solvent-based paint, sealers, primers, or coatings
- Varnishes, polyurethane, shellacs
- Paint thinner, mineral spirits, turpentine
- Spray paint
- Pesticides (bug and rodent killers)
- Herbicides (weed killers)
- Insecticides (bug killers)
- Fungicides (mold killers)
- Caustic household cleaners (oven cleaner, drain cleaner, muriatic acid, etc.)
- Automotive products
- Adhesives, roof tar, driveway sealer
- Motor oil
- Kerosene, gasoline, lighter fluid
- Fluorescent bulbs
(last updated 4-01-08)