Halloween in Cleveland needn't be scary -- or unsafe. The area offers a host of family-friendly activities to suit any little ghost or princess. (updated for 2012)
- September 28 - October 28 - Weekends - Halloweekends at Cedar Point, special attractions, costumed characters, food, treats, and a parade; Fridays from 6pm until midnight, Saturdays from Noon until midnight, and on Sundays from 11am until 8pm; Adults $41.99 (if you purchase your tickets online in advance) and $31.99 for juniors (under 48") and seniors (age 62 and older.)
- September 28 - October 31 (weekends) - Not Haunted Hayride - Red Wagon Farm, Route 252 just south of route 82, Columbia Station; 440 236-3007; free parking; Saturdays and Sundays: Noon - 5pm
- October 6 and 7 - Goblins in the Garden - Holden Arboretum; 10am - 430pm; treats, games, costumes, and fun.
- October 18-21 and 25-28 - Boo at the Zoo - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo - Enjoy treats, games, and family-friendly Halloween activities; 6pm -9pm, $8
- October 19-20 - Magical Whooloween - Lake Metroparks Penitentiary Glen Nature Center, 8668 Kirtland-Chardon Rd., Kirtland - a non-scary, Halloween alternative for families with children 2-11 years. Activities include storytelling, games, a night hike snacks, and a miniature steam train ride; 530pm - 930pm; call 440 358-7275 or 800 669-9226 to register.
- October 19,20,26,27 - Spooky Science Nights - Great Lakes Science Center - Includes a spooky late night snack, admission to all of the Science Center exhibits, a movie, spooky experiments, and other activities. 530pm - 930pm; $12; call 216-621-2400 for reservations.
- October 27 - BOO at the Garden - Cleveland Botanical Garden, University Circle - Celebrate the season with games, costumes, dancing, crafts, and trick or treat; 530pm - 830pm
- October 20-21, 26-28 - IX Trick or Treat Street - Cleveland I-X Center, Cleveland - Meet Dora the Explorer and Scooby-Doo, visit 10 spooktacular candy houses and enjoy the amusement park rides; $14
- October 27 - All Hale's Eve - Hale Farm and Village - Trick or Treat around this 19th century living history museum; 6pm - 8pm; $10 for adults; $5 for kids