One of fall's special treats in Northeast Ohio is the proliferation of clambakes -- at restaurants, at special events, and at friends homes. Find out more about this Cleveland autumn tradition. (updated for 2011; more events will be added as information becomes available.)
Clambakes at Food Stores:
- Brennan's Catering - 13000 Triskett Rd., Cleveland - 216 251-2131; Ready to serve clambake includes little neck clams, baked chicken, choice of potatoes, corn on the cob, choice of salad, rolls and butter, clam broth, and place setting; $22-$28 per person.
- Euclid Fish - 7839 Enterprise Dr., Mentor - 440 951-6448; offers a variety of clambake specials as well as recipes and fun facts on their website. You can even shop online.
- Farmhouse Foods - 9000 Woodland Ave in Cleveland; 216 791-6948 and 20524 Southgate Park Blvd in Maple Hts; 216 587-6767. Available for catering or pick up.
- Hall's Quality Meat Market - 27040 Cook Rd., Olmsted Falls, 440 235-3262; sells a complete clambake with clams, chicken, rolls, butter, and yams from $15.95.
- Sussex Seafood and Grille - 29280 Euclid Ave., Wickliffe; 440 943-2002
- Lobster Bros Seafood - 26055 Detroit Rd., Westlake; 440 835-0013
Clambakes at Cleveland and Northeast Ohio Restaurants:
- September/October - Don's Lighthouse - 8905 Lake Ave., Cleveland; 216 961-7000; "Taste of New England" dinner, including lobster, clams, corn, and fingerling potatoes.
- Until November 2 - Pickle Bill's - Grand River; 440 352-6343
- Through October 31 - Tick-Tock Tavern - 11526 Clifton Blvd., 216 631-6111; clambake includes chicken, clams, mussels, corn, chowder, sweet potato, and coleslaw or salad;
- September 21 and October 5, 2012 - Debonne Vineyards - Madison Ohio; Steak of Clam Bake, includes clams or steak, 1/2 chicken, clam chowder, sweet potatoes, red skins, salads, and corn; $25.95 per person; call 440 466-3485 for reservations at least 5 days in advance; 6pm - 730pm
- September 14 - September 16 - Winking Lizard Canton, Peninsula, Macedonia, and Avon - Clambake Weekend
Northeast Ohio Clambake Events:
- September 23 - Great Western Reserve Clambake - Lake County History Center, 8610 Mentor Rd., Kirtland Hills; Traditional clambake in a wooded setting; 1pm - 5pm; bake served 1pm - 3pm; admission $28; call 440 639-2945 for reservations and information
Making Your Own Clambake:
- How to Make a Traditional Clambake from the About Guide to BBQ
- Common Varieties of Clams from the About Guide to Home Cooking
- Making a Stovetop Clambake from the About Guide to Home Cooking
(Last updated 9-7-12)