The Bottom Line
- A wonderful sampling of exotic, North African cuisine
- Combines a culture lesson with a good meal
- Near concerts at the Agora
- A good selection of vegetarian selections
- Not for unadventuresome eaters
- Empress Taytu
6125 St. Clair Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44103
- 216 391-9400
- Hours: Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm - 9pm Friday and Saturday: 5pm - 10pm
- Closed on Sundays and Mondays
Guide Review - Empress Taytu Ethiopian Restaurant
Popular menu items include t'ibs, small pieces of beef, lamb, shrimp, or chicken cooked with onions, rosemary, and spiced butter and dorowat, the restaurant's signature spicy chicken dish, made with hot peppers, cardamom, cinnamon, basil, and ginger. Entrees are served in large, ceramic casseroles with layers of "injeri" on top. Several combination platters are available, which are ideal for sampling this unique cuisine.
The Empress Taytu has a full bar and specialty drinks include a variety of exotic fruit cocktails as well as excellent coffee. Dessert is not a part of Bosnian culture, although ice cream is offered. End your meal, instead, with the formal Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
(Last updated on 4-26-08)