The Lorain lighthouse sits at the end of the west breakwater in Lorain harbor. The structure, built in 1916, guided Lake Erie ships for 50 years before being allowed to fall into disrepair. The lighthouse was scheduled for demolition in the 1980s before a grass-roots effort saved the building. The three-story keeper's house is made of poured concrete with walls 10" thick to keep out the sometimes fierce Lake Erie storms.
The lighthouse is surrounded by water and not open to the public, although plans for the structure include boat tours.
(Last updated on 12-19-10)