1. Local
Sandy Mitchell

Former WMMS DJ Len "Boom Boom" Goldberg Dies

By December 29, 2006

Len "Boom Boom" Goldberg, the former voice of WMMS FM/100.7 and one of the station's most recognized DJs of the 1970s and 1980s, was found dead in his South Euclid home, outside of Cleveland, on Wednesday, December 27, of an apparent heart attack. Mr. Goldberg was 74.

Len Goldberg, who grew up in Brooklyn NY, came to Cleveland in the late 1960s and became part of the WMMS team that skyrocketed the station to national prominence in the 1970s. Among other functions, his was the voice that announced you were listening to "The Home of the Buzzard." He also was part of the No. 1 morning drive show, the "Buzzard Morning Zoo," with Jeff Kinzbach and Ed Ferenc during the 1980s.

The recent book, "Cleveland Rock and Roll Memories" lists Goldberg as one of the city's notable Rock and Roll DJs of the 1980s. He is survived by a daughter, Becky Goldberg of St. Petersburg Florida.

Comments

January 1, 2007 at 1:04 pm
(1) randy jarrell says:

i am looking for len goldbergs book
“cleveland rock-n-roll memories”

January 3, 2007 at 12:52 pm
(2) BlueMoon says:

Len never wrote a book. That book was written by Carlo Wolff who had nothing to do with WMMS or the local Cleveland music scene during that era.

January 3, 2007 at 1:23 pm
(3) cleveland says:

Len Goldberg didn’t write, “Cleveland Rock and Roll Memories,” but he is mentioned in it as one of the notable DJs of the 1980s. You can read more about the book in the following
review:

January 3, 2007 at 2:52 pm
(4) Anne says:

From the Plain Dealer: Len Was Beloved husband of Jeanne (Stephanoff). Former husband of Willie Holland. Dear father of Lisa Cutler, K.C. (Christian) Goldberg, Becky Goldberg (Jon Tucker), Sage (Alison) O’Bryant and Marina (Kristien) Marquez-Zenkov. Grandfather of Emmanuel, Sam, Hannah, Lauren, Ashlyn, Sydney, Selena, Zoey, Avery and Ryland.

January 5, 2007 at 10:01 am
(5) Chris says:

“From the North Coast of America…” Good Bye Boom!

January 12, 2007 at 1:21 am
(6) Imari Sherrie Nuyen Kariotis says:

I went to school with K.C. and have been looking for him for a while. I’m so sorry to her Boom is gone, he was a great man, kind and generous.

February 3, 2007 at 1:38 am
(7) Lisa Dillon says:

Boom was my second dad. We shared an office for 2 years. He was so kind and funny and he told me EVERYONE’S secrets!
I loved him very much and no one will miss him like I will.

Becky, his daughter, asked me to speak at his memorial, but I just couldn’t. I was way too “choked up.” I cried the whole time!

I loved him…

Boom…thank you for your kindness, generosity, great advice (!) and sensational sense of humor.

I miss you already and I love you so much! I hope you are in Rock and Roll heaven playing poker with my real dad, Tom!

I take comfort in knowing that I will see you again someday so get ready to deal me in!

Lisa

October 24, 2008 at 11:43 am
(8) Frank says:

What a voice, in fact “THE” Voice of Cleveland Radio as far as i’m concerned.
We all miss THE BOOM

April 13, 2010 at 8:10 am
(9) Jim Hendrickson says:

Len “Boom Boom” Goldberg we love and miss you

February 8, 2012 at 12:25 am
(10) Brian Himes says:

I will never forget waking up on Sunday mornings to “Psychedelic Sunday w/Len ‘Boom’ Goldberg”.

February 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm
(11) steven pinter says:

I remember his voice…

March 6, 2013 at 10:57 pm
(12) Marty says:

I was just sitting here transferring some old MMS off-air cassettes to digital and got the idea to google Len. I was totally bumbed to learn of his passing. He was in the very top class of radio voices. There really isn’t anyone like him today.